Saturday, July 13, 2013

So many HEALTHY pieces of this puzzle!

Growing up my older brother was so patient and really enjoyed doing tasks that required fine motor skills and patience, like puzzles, legos and building model cars. (what? who does that?) I, on the other hand, never found joy in these type of activities, to my poor mother's dismay. A couple stories she likes to tell really sum that up. My mom was so used to her first child spending hours at a time carefully piecing together a puzzle, I think she was shocked when I tried puzzles for the first time. Now, I'm not talking about an intricate puzzle with hundreds of pieces. I'm talking about puzzle boards, where the pieces only fit into one spot. She said she sat me down with a puzzle and tried to show me how to do it, then sat back and watched as I tried to fit a piece in a hole, turn it and try again and then toss the entire thing over my shoulder. Absolutely no patience for puzzles from an early age. A few years later, when Eric started school, I went into his room and found this particular lego creation he had been working on and when I got bored of it, I threw it down the stairs. (I think he still holds that against me sometimes)
 
The last few years I have been on a journey to find myself, and finally for the first time in my life I am starting to understand what it feels like when puzzle pieces just start to fall into place. I think I spent a good portion of the last 25 years trying to fit square pegs into circular holes and always coming up frustrated. I have always had friends, but I never really fit into a group. I have busted my ass to make friendships and relationships work over the years, and have tossed many of those over my shoulder when I couldn't make it work anymore. I have had so many different types of jobs I can't even count. I went to school for something I was passionate about, but ended up working in a manufacturing plant. Turns out, a last ditch effort to get a job, any job, turned into a career. I enjoy what I do, I make pretty good money and I have benefits. See ya square career peg!
 
I always played sports, and was mediocre at some, alright at others and borderline good at 1 or 2, but I was never an AllStar in any of my athletic endeavors. Then, I found roller derby. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to play. See ya square hobby peg! Fast forward through a year or so of roller derby, and also see ya square fitness/health peg, we got this!
 
Speaking of the fitness/health peg, I recently crossed over into the 40 pounds lost category. 40 pounds! I always considered myself health conscious, but one day I realized that I need to make some lifestyle changes if I wanted to be a better athlete and overall healthier person. So, lifestyle changes indeed started happening. It has been a journey, and I have to work for it every single day. Sure, I enjoy a fat Sunday occasionally, or eat FroYo if I am in the mood, but overall I try to make healthy substitutions, watch what kind of food I am fueling my body with and workout. Over the last couple years I have done things I never thought my body could do, and there is no match for that feeling.
 
Now hold on to your horses right now, because it's about to get a little sappy up in this little blog of mine. I found my soul mate, my other half, the love of my life and nothing has ever made more sense to me. This amazing human has been an acquaintance for about 3 years, but one day it just changed. Very quickly we went from acquaintances to dating, to falling in love. GOODBYE square love life peg! I could go on for days and days about all the times I tried to fit this particular square peg into a circular hole, and genuinely thinking I was making the right decision. Here's what I will say, my relationship with Cecil has come so easy to both of us that it even surprised us. We each met our match and have formed an incredible bond already. You know what one of the greatest parts about finding Cecil is? For the first time in my life, I have a partner through thick and thin, someone that supports me, encourages me and challenges me. We both have made major life changes to improve our health, fitness, bodies and souls. We both started these healthy journeys before we started dating, but our journeys are very similar and have crossed paths to become one big healthy journey together. Cecil recently passed up 90 pounds lost, so together we have shed an entire person! 130 pounds gone! We both understand the importance of making healthy decisions, and making the time to focus on ourselves. We encourage each other, we try new foods together, and we just recently started a body transformation challenge TOGETHER! On the 4th of July, we woke up wanting greasy breakfast food, but instead we chose to make up shakeology with fruit in it and both head our separate ways to get in a good workout before we started celebrating. We easily could have called the entire day a loss, but we didn't and it was a mutual decision for the best. Sometimes we make unhealthy decisions, but we don't let it derail us by any means.
 
Today, we move into the next chapter of our lives together. We signed the lease for our first house and I am really looking forward to making it OUR home. I feel so excited but also very calm about the decision, it makes perfect sense and I have zero anxiety about it. This thing I call my life will forever be an unfinished puzzle, but it feels pretty awesome sauce that so many pieces are finding their places.
*Happy sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment