Some important pieces of my derby puzzle are spreading their dactyl wings and embarking on new adventures. It is so bittersweet to say goodbye to these 2, because not only are they leaving the MissFits, they are moving away from Blo-No.
Last week, we said goodbye to the one and only Katy T Wrecks Ringler, as she moved to Chicago. While that is only 2 hours away from Bloomington and we already get to see her this coming weekend, it still doesn't make it easier. Back in January I gave a drunk T Wrecks a ride home from a party and I got all teary eyed about her impending move. I'm really not sure roller derby is going to make sense without TWrecks. You see, we are both OG's of the MissFits and have been through every up and down that the MissFits have faced, for the last 3 years. We skated in circles until we figured out how to play, we laughed at bout video when we thought we knew what we were doing st the time, we sold lots of shots at some of our successful fundraisers, we won some and we lost some. I have played 2 seasons as an AllStar and we are also OG dactyls as well. Too many dactyl memories to recount, but really all I can say is that I wish her the best of luck as she embarks on a new roller derby journey today. Trying out for the Windy City Rollers?! Holy crap! I'm so proud of you and wish you the best of luck, they will be lucky to have you!
Then there's that electric soul trapped in a body called Ashely Sunshine BashHer, who leaves for Seattle very soon. I remember the first time I saw Sunny strap on a pair of skates at tryouts, and I remember thinking 'oh boy!' Well, she rocked the fuck out of those Bambi legs and got up every time she got knocked down. She never gave up and she has improved so much, you wouldn't even believe it if you could see a side by side video comparison. Her spirit is so bubbly and contagious. I do believe it is impossible to frown with Sunny around. Her attitude towards life and roller derby is inspiring and I can honestly say I may be a veteran but I look up to the player she has become on the track.
Sunny is also a dactyl and made the sweetest dactyl getup we have ever had, wings and headpiece and the whole shebang. Sunny, best of luck in Seattle and at Rat City tryouts! Again, they will be so lucky to gain you and I know your attitude will continue to be an asset to everyone you encounter. Although you have to get a new name, I can't imagine anything fitting better than Sunny because you really are a ray of sunshine!
No comments:
Post a Comment