Friday, August 30, 2013

My generation is falling to pieces.

This post has been brewing in my busy little brain for awhile, but in light of the Miley Cyrus events this week, I think it is time to put my thoughts out there.

Now don't get me wrong, this is not a Miley Cyrus bash by any means. I have often thought I was born in the wrong era, and felt embarrassed to be associated with my peers. I have not had TV for over 2 years, and I rarely miss it, especially when everyone on Facebook is discussing what happened on a ridiculous awards show the night before. I  have not watched Miley's "performance" but based on the still shots and kind words from everyone and their mother, I don't need to. I am all for expressing yourself, and doing what you think is best without worrying about what others think. At the same time, "everyone" criticizing Miley for acting that way is only perpetuating the idea that young ladies can never blossom into full fledged sexy women for fear of setting a bad example for younger ladies. If you as a parent allow your children to watch MTV and have access to Facebook, then you, yourself are setting the bad example. Miley is no longer Hannah Montana, and she is a grown ass adult. If she chooses to wear very little clothing and display her body for the entire world, then she is the one that has to deal with the treatment she will receive based on that. I think it's great that Miley has found herself as an adult, and she is living the way she wants to. Shave that head girl, you are only young once! We live in an over sexualized world, and she has been told since she was young what the world thinks is beautiful, were you really surprised that she would choose to express herself in an over sexualized way?

Also, very few posts about what else is happening in the world have come from people in my age range. Are young adults really oblivious to important issues, or do they just care less about those things than the MTV awards?

As a twenty-something female, I am a part of the generation that seems to just be falling apart. I like to think I was raised by semi-strict parents, that let us find our own personalities and learn our own lessons. Yes, they made us do chores, maintain good grades, and get a job if we wanted privileges, but they also let us enjoy our youth and make mistakes. They taught us manners, they taught us the value of a job well done, and financial responsibility. Oftentimes, I see my peers either soaking up as much of Mommy and Daddy's/ or goverment money as they can while they go to college, don't appreciate the car their parents bought for them, and barely work to support the lifestyle they are enjoying, OR I see my peers struggling to make it due to bad life decisions and unfortunate life circumstances. My generation seems to have missed the manners train at some point. I am shocked by the way people my age treat others, and their lack of empathy for others. Now, don't get me wrong I have a potty mouth and a bitchface, but I like to think that overall I am a good human. A simple please, thank you or kind word goes a long way.

Being that I am in my mid-twenties, my fridge always has some sort of invitation on it, whether it be a baby shower, bachelorette party, bridal shower, or wedding. I have attended more of these types of events than I can even count in the last 5-6 years, and I am always glad to be included in the celebration. What I don't understand is when did simple thank you cards go out of style? I can honestly say I put an effort into the gifts I take to these types of events, and I'm not doing it for applause or recognition, but at the same time how distasteful is it to not even send a thank you card? This has been bothering me for a couple years actually, when I started noticing that I RARELY received thank you's for the events I had attended. Yes, those people might have thanked me at the event and they might have posted a blanket status on Facebook thanking everyone, but that just isn't the same. Am I just being an old fashioned whiney baby right now? I sure hope not. (Also, I received a thank you card in the mail yesterday from Danny and Amanda Masters from their wedding, and it made me smile.)

Maybe I was born in the wrong era, and maybe I am being old fashioned, but I really do struggle with the way my generation acts. Of course there are many exceptions to this rule, but as a whole my generation kind of stinks. Guess I better just learn to deal with it, because a measly blog post isn't going to change the world, and I'm stuck with this generation until I die...

1 comment:

  1. You kids with your blogs and your hannah montanas and your unified field theories...

    Bah.

    ReplyDelete