Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pieces falling together.

First off, I just want to put a disclaimer on this. This post is by no means a bash on my exes, but simply an explanation of my current relationship.
 
You know that corny quote? The one that goes like "One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else." Well, that day happened recently. I am currently in a relationship that feels like the others must not have worked out for some reason. I honestly have no hard feelings towards anyone that I have previously dated, and while I may have struggled with them falling apart at the time, I can see that it was for the best that none of them worked out.
 
I dated someone for over 7 years, he was my first love, my high school sweetheart, the peas to my carrots and my best friend. We were that couple that people were genuinely surprised when we broke up. I can say that I was sad for a long time about us not working, I always pictured myself spending the rest of my life with him. We even tried making it work again, and we are just on different paths in life, we aren't meant to be together. I will always love him and I will always have a special place in my heart for him.
 
After him, I dated a series of people, some of which I got pretty serious with. In the end, none of those relationships were meant to work either. I am still friends with most of them, and have even had drunken chats about how silly we were to think we were meant to be together when really we should just be friends. I tried online dating, I tried dating a teammate, I tried dating an old friend and I eventually just "gave up" and started just focusing on me.
 
Then, I got a message on Facebook from an acquaintance that I had known of for almost 3 years. She is a bartender at the Bistro where my team has spent a lot of time the last few years. Over the last year or two, she has occasionally said a drink was on her or even bought me a beer when she was on the other side of the bar. She's always been friendly, but I really didn't know much about her. Our mutual friend hosted a party, and in usual Jackie form, once I started to get bored with people (or annoyed) I retreated to hanging out with the pets of the house. This particular dog is a big old sweetie, so I was just camped out on the couch cuddling this puppy when she sat down next to me. I knew she had dated this mutual friend, but we got to talking about this dog and it turns out they had her together when they were dating. I was pretty drunk, and so was she, so neither of us really remember most of the conversation we had that night. All I do know was that we remembered that it was a good conversation the next day.
 
A couple weeks of us Facebook chatting goes by, and I get a note handed to me at the Bistro one night when we were there enjoying a band.
It is hand written in pencil, and it says "You are pretty. Will you go out with me sometime? Circle one -YES -Go Fuck Yourself"
I was surprised and flattered, and since I am super sarcastic I circled -Go Fuck Yourself and wrote "I only circled this because it's awesome that it was an option." Then included my phone number.
 
This all went down about 2 months ago, and the last 2 months have been a whirlwind of amazingness. This is the healthiest, most supportive and fun relationship I have ever been in. We have already had a few disagreements, but both of us have made an effort to put the cranky bitch away and handle it like adults. I can't get enough of her, I think about her all the time and get so sad when I have to leave. Both of us are very busy people, which doesn't allow a ton of free time together, but we try to squeeze in as much as possible.
 
It's funny that I have known of her for so long, but never really got to know her. I am so glad that things worked out the way they did, and we found each other. If you are mutual friends with us, you are probably going to be really sick of us soon, srawry about you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment